300g caster sugar
125 g butter
12 small pears
1 packet of pre rolled puff pastry
- Pre heat the oven to 190 degrees centigrade Place the sugar in a thick bottom 8-10 inch frying pan add a drop of water and put on the heat until it turns golden brown, take off the heat and add the butter in small chunks and stir furiously until the butter has melted and the sugar mixture smells of toffee.
- Peel and half the pears and pack them as tightly as possible in the pan.
- Cut the puff pastry to 1 cm larger than the pan and place on the pears (Important) tuck the excess puff pastry down the insides of the pan, this will form an edge to hold all the juice in. Pierce a hole in the centre of the pastry to let the steam out.
- Place in the oven for 30 minutes until the pastry is golden brown.
- Leave to cool down for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a plate
Visit taste*café at Chesil Beach & the Chesil Beach Centre
Now is a wonderful time to visit the Cafe at Chesil Beach. Todd Moffat and his staff offer great food and drinks, plus excellent service with a smile. They are open seven days a week 10.00 am to 4.00pm, for morning coffee, breakfast, brunch, lunch and afternoon tea.
Once you've visited the Cafe, why not pop next-door to the Chesil Beach Centre and have a nose around the shop and find out more about the area around Chesil, before taking a long walk along the beach.
Click here for more information and directions
Photos: Todd Moffat