The Heathland Code
Enjoy your heathland visit and help us to take care of this unique habitat and its very special wildlife by following the Heathland Code:
Explore the Heath
- However, please keep to the main paths to avoid disturbing the many heathland birds, insects and reptiles that nest on the ground and can be easily harmed.
- Please keep your dog under close control. Use a short lead during the nesting season March - August and when livestock are present (CRoW Act 2000).
Keep the Heathland Healthy
- Take rubbish and any mess your dog may leave away with you.
Cycle or Horse Ride Only Where allowed
- Please use the permitted routes to avoid harming wildlife and damaging the ground.
Fire Destroys Heathland and its Wildlife
- Fire can also be dangerous for people and property so please avoid dropping cigarettes or matches and don't ever start a fire, bonfire or barbeque on the heath.
Keep Grazing Animals Safe
- Please close gates behind you when grazing animals are present.
If you'd like to visit a Dorset heath here are a couple of ideas: