FAMILY FISH PIE
Please try and buy fish that has been responsibly sourced from Dorset fishermen. Good options are Dorset handline or static net caught pollack, black sea bream or mackerel and trap caught prawns. If these species are not in season, buy fish that has been certified by the Marine Stewardship Council.
For the potato topping:
• 1.5kg/3lb 5oz potatoes (such as King Edwards or Maris Piper)
• salt and white pepper
• butter, to taste
• 100g/3½oz grated gruyère cheese (or cheddar)
For the filling:
• 600ml/20fl oz milk
• pinch saffron
• 2 bay leaves
• 6 black peppercorns
• pinch salt
• 400g/7oz white fish (e.g. pollack, black sea bream, pouting)
• 200g/7oz smoked fish (e.g. mackerel)
• 70g/2½oz butter
• 70g/2½oz flour
• salt and freshly ground white pepper
• small bunch chives, chopped
• small bunch flat leaf parsley, chopped
• 125g/4½oz prawns, cooked and peeled
1. For the potato topping, place the potatoes in a large pan of boiling salted water and cook for 15-20 minutes, or until tender.
2. Drain the potatoes well and mash them with a potato masher or ricer along with salt, white pepper and butter, to taste.
3. Stir in the gruyère and set aside the potatoes, keeping them warm
4. For the filling warm the milk in a wide saucepan with the saffron, bay leaves, peppercorns and salt. Bring to a gentle simmer then poach the fish in the milk until just cooked through (about 3 minutes).
5. Remove the fish, break it into flakes then set it aside with the prawns and strain the milk through a sieve into a clean bowl.
6. Melt the butter in a clean saucepan then add the flour, stir to form a roux and cook gently for two minutes. Add the strained milk and bring the sauce to a simmer, stirring all the time, then season with salt and freshly ground white pepper.
7. Add the chopped chives and parsley to the sauce; gently fold in the fish and prawns.
8. Preheat the oven to 180C350F/Gas 4.
9. To assemble the pie, butter a casserole dish generously. Lay the fish and prawns in the casserole dish and pour the parsley sauce on top.
10. Cover with the mashed potatoes
11. Place in the preheated oven and bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until the top is golden-brown.
More from The Kingcombe Centre