Wildlife Advice

Wildlife advice

Hedgehog ©Tom Marshall

Sightings, sick, injured, or dead animals

Seeing wildlife can be incredible, but it can be hard to know what to do in certain situations. Maybe you have come across an injured or dead animal, or maybe you suspect that a crime has been committed. Our wildlife advice pages will help you know what to do and who to contact if you do find yourself in these situations.

Robin © Tom Hibbert

Robin © Tom Hibbert

Dorset Wildlife Trust does not offer a general service for the care and rehabilitation of wildlife and we also do not offer any services related to the discovery, reporting, or disposal of dead animals. However, our advice pages will help you know what to do if you find one.

Quick contacts for injured wildlife

Injured wildlife

The RSPCA and Help Wildlife's pages carry more detailed advice on what to do with injured birds and other wildlife. Help Wildlife also have a useful map to help find your local wildlife rescue service. The RSPCA's wildlife emergency number is 0300 1234 999. As a quick guide, here is the Wildlife Trusts advice on what to do if you find an injured bird, a hedgehog wandering around in winter or a dead animal.

Marine sightings and strandings

If you find a stranded or dead whale or dolphin, please report it to the Cetacean Strandings Investigation Programme (CSIP) hotline on 0800 652 0333. You can find more information here. 

Wildlife crime

If you witness a wildlife crime taking place, call 999. For a non-emergency, call 101. If you would like to give information regarding a crime anonymously, call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Our latest news

Find out more

Harvest mouse © Amy Lewis

Join as a member today

Become a member

Young girl looking at spider in web on heathland in summer © David Tipling/2020VISION